Friday, November 21, 2014

A Dictionary of My Common Phrases

(To compare what I say with what I really mean)

"Okay."

1. Okay
2. I don't agree with you, but either I don't feel like arguing with you, I doubt you will fight fair, or I just want you to be quiet. Often followed by the person's name.

"I'm tired."

1. Give me time and space.

"I'm very tired."

1. Leave me alone…please.

I'm exhausted

(Refer to "I'm very tired.")

"Ayah!"

1. Shock or surprise

"Oy!"

1. Dismay

"Blimey!"

1. Frustrated

"Maybe…"

1. Probably yes.

"We'll see…"

1. Probably no
2. It's not up to me.

"Just a minute." (often accompanied with an erect pointer finger)

1. I need more time to do something.
2. I am trying to think, and your chatter is disturbing my thought process.
3. I can listen or I can do a task I am supposed to do, but I cannot do both. Take your pick. Task it is!

"Sure."

1. (If enthusiastic) Welcoming a given suggestion.
2. (If not enthusiastic) I don't believe you, but I would rather placate you than invite a long, exhausting discussion.

"I'm fine."

1. I really am fine.
2. I am not fine, but I don't feel like talking about it or I don't want to tell you what's wrong.
3. I don't know how I feel. Give me time and space to figure it out.

"I said I'm fine!"

1. You keep asking me what's wrong or if I am fine, and I am starting to get ticked off. Keep asking questions, and if I was fine, I will not longer be; if I were not fine, I will be worse.

"Whatever."

1. I will not discuss this further.
2. You are getting on my nerves.

"Lord, have mercy!"

1. (Lighter tone) I am suspecting a weird or mildly unpleasant occurrence.
2. (Intense tone) Very displeased; ready to punch a wall.

"You eat with that mouth?"

1. You have a filthy mouth; I hate vulgar language.

"That's all right."

1. I am content or impressed with something said, done, or planned.

"I know what time it is!"

1. I am being playful with your feigned adversity.
2. You have said or done something I disapprove of, but I am accepting it.

"That's enough."

1. I am starting to lose my patience with you. You would be wise to close your mouth and walk away.

Excuse me?

1. I did not hear you clearly.
2. You just said something ignorant or hurtful, and I am both encouraging you to make amends and challenging you to repeat what you said so that I can give you what for.

"I wish you would…"

1. You are about to say or do something uncouth, and I am informing you that I am wise to you. I am also encouraging you to change your course of action to prevent a proverbial thrashing.




No comments:

Post a Comment