Tuesday, April 28, 2015

How do we prepare for the death of someone?



Honestly, that is a very difficult question to ask. For many, no matter how much notice we get, there is no way we can truly prepare for something like that. Even if the person is 110 years old, no one can really say they actually prepared when that person dies.

I say this, because a friend of ours, Rose Maslauskas, died last week. She was 30 years old. She had been in and out of the hospital for over a year. She was in the hospital since the New Years--for over 4 months. She was having heart problems, she had dialysis, and so many things. She even had a feeding tube. And no matter how much we wanted it not to be so, many of us knew better that time was running out. Perhaps it is because we love the person so much that we truly cannot or will not actually prepare for that person to die because we cannot imagine our lives without that person.


For me, I've seen so much death that I often think that I am prepared to know that someone going to die-- even someone who is so young. I know this because I once had a front row seat for the death of a 2 month old. I actually held her warm corpse. She was my cousin, Jayana McGraw. She was hooked up to so many machines, and we were told that she would not survive the night, that she would die from a stroke or heart attack. Even with the best of care even, she still could not be saved. Seeing her like that, especially considering that some of my relatives died within the moment's notice, and my family buried two of my uncles in less than a year, I still find myself mourning even when I know someone is likely to die.


I can only hope that I would have the strength and knowledge to prepare all of my loved ones for my passing. Before you ask, I have good health, and I'm not planning to go anywhere anytime soon. However, even though they find it difficult to believe or simply do not want to believe, I know I will not die old. I know that I probably will not be fortunate enough to even see 50. This is because I too have had a lifetime of health problems. And that's why I tried to live as if I'm preparing myself. That's why I attend church regularly, pray regularly, read the Bible, try to accomplish lifelong dreams, and love and respect those around me. That way, not only will I be prepared to die, but it might help loved ones be a little bit more prepared. That is what I put my face in Christ, and I believe in him and believe that He died for my sin. This way, all of my loved ones who also believe as I do can see will have be assured that not only will I be with the Lord, but they will see me again as they are with the Lord. Therefore, friends, if you do not yet believe that Christ has died for you, it is not too late. As I'm sure you will learn from my friend Rose and my cousin, you never know when your time will come to leave this world. That's why, even if you can't be prepared for the death the other people, you can at least be prepared for your own.

Rest in peace, Rose!

No comments:

Post a Comment